Friday, November 21, 2014

I'm Back Part II

So the smell of new carpet was starting to sit in.  It felt so good on our feet, so good in fact that the Cheetah carpet was starting to be very appealing to some faces in our family.  I actually caught my husband and children laying down on it.  I, for one, was not going to do that.  It just felt weird to me laying down right next to our dining room table.  But if it's what makes a person comfortable, then go for it.  After having the satisfaction of having "new" carpet to call our own, it was time to think about our next project.  That didn't take long at all!!  We then had some company who stayed in our guest room.  When they left I knew automatically what it was going to be.  The smallest room in our home...

#5 The guest room make-over.  After stripping the bed and being stuck between the wall and the mattress, I knew it was time to do something different.  So I decided to sell the furniture that was painted to fit the space when we first moved it.  It was a pretty good idea but it just didn't work for the space.  I consigned...again!  Which means, I sold it on a garage sale site and that gave me the money to buy a sleeper sofa.  One that wasn't too pricey, but could do the job of giving our guests a place to lay their head when coming to visit.  It fit the space well and gave the room a more open space concept.  Again, I chose RED.  What can I say?  I love, love, love it.  However, I had that red table so it clashed with the sofa so I painted with a brown chalk paint to accent the brown tones in the room.  But after purchasing a sofa, I noticed that the room lacked storage and appeal.  There was no place for towels, linens, etc for our guests so my husband and I both went to the furniture store to see what we could find.  We were able to purchase an electronic cabinet that had doors and a place for towels and sheets.  Eventually, we'd like to put a TV in there and our computer and make it more of a home office, but until then this is what it looks like.


By this time it was getting close to our daughter's birthday and school.  I just couldn't believe that all of this has taken up so much time that it was already time to think about school supplies, clothes and to settle down with our nightly routines.  That just meant that Winter was coming to me.  Yuck, I dislike the cold months.  But the good thing is that someone was going to celebrate turning a year older.  My husband and I had to ask her what she wanted and all she could come up with American Girl stuff and a new room.  When she said a new room, she literally meant a new room!  She wanted a "big" girl bed.  

#6 Big girl room for a pre-teen was in the works.  We started selling everything she had in her room to start fresh.  Well not everything, but pretty close.  All her furniture that she had in her room was white and she wanted to change it drastically by asking for all black.  But by the time we had already done so much to our home, our funds were stretched to the max so I did what I normally did and sell her existing furniture and purchase project pieces I could finish myself.  That too went well!  Her trundle bed, dresser and decor sold fast.  Once that was sold, we went shopping for that perfect comforter.  She wanted a lot of color, but requested pink as her main color.  Funny to me, because her original bedroom, I was instructed not to use pink.  Her other request was something with Chevron.  I found a Duncan Phyfe full-size bed for a fraction of what most beds sell for, so we purchased it and they painted it for me.  I found a Broyhill dresser online, a nightstand online and a desk on an auction site.  This gave me the opportunity the refinish them to her liking.  I let her pick out the knobs and colors.  Do you know that they make chevron and other "shaped" painter's tape, made by Frogger?  Awesome stuff!!  To add more space to the room after adding a full-size bed from a twin, I took off the doors to the closet and put curtains up.  It gave it another 2" or so of playing room.  The only thing she has asked for the make the room complete is a chair.  That should be easy enough.  Well, so I thought.  It's been 3 months and we still have not found anything.  Maybe for Christmas?




This was one of the most enjoyable projects I had this year.  I loved all the colors, the paisley, polka dots and chevron all mixed together.  It made for a unique and fun place to hang out.

Stay tuned for our latest to complete our home.  More to come with the big reveals!

'Til next time,

Stay Decorated!

No comments :

Post a Comment