Thursday, November 13, 2014

I'm Back

Not sure why one of my last year's post was just posted.  It was even unfinished, but oh well maybe this will get published correctly and I will try my best to keep on top of it this time.  It's been almost one full year since I've blogged but it's not because I've had nothing to blog about but because my internet is slow and I've actually been too busy to really blog.  So much has been going on with my OCD (haha), I'm dumbfounded on what actually I should write about.  I don't want each person to read my posts and eventually get bored.  So here goes...after the holidays last year we decided to tackle our house for the last time this year.  Projects seem to always have a "to be continued" instead of "The End".  I told myself this year would be "The End" since I have a freshman in high school.  Most of my mother friends, co-workers, and family members would agree with me when I ask, "where has time gone"? I don't want my child's last four years of his childhood to be nothing but projects.  Let me get you caught up on what all has been going on here.  This is a lengthy post and hope to get better at posting.  There's not much of step by step in this post, but will kind of give you a idea of what we/I did to update and make our house a HOME:

#1 - Master bathroom vanity and cabinets were repainted for a vintage feel.  Other than the floor to ceiling wall paper in our hall bath the one thing I hated the most in this house when we first bought it was that orangish oak cabinetry.  It was "cool" in the day, I guess but it's gotta go.  However, I just wasn't brave enough to ruin oak woodwork.  So I sat on it a whole year until I could really do some research. With all the new craze about chalk paint and how easy it was, I thought I'd give it a try.  There's no sanding and really no prep needed to use this paint.  It covers everything...I mean, everything.  Plus if I didn't like it, it would be fairly simple to take off and start over.  My master bathroom was an easy target because no one would see my booboos except us, so I went for it.  I added new knobs too, which finished it off quite nicely.  After I finished I was so proud of myself, that I sent the pictures to Allison with Refunk My Junk and she showcased my work on her blog.  I was so excited!!

#2 - Birthday present bedroom for a teenager who is a sports fanatic and has tried just about anything.  Since he was about four years old he's played baseball, soccer, football, a little golf and has made some great friends in the process.  The down fall of all his memories was our move.  It was hard, but I know God has plans for him.  He had so much stuff I decided to make him a memorabilia wall using his trophies, jerseys, medals and very important pictures of most of his firsts or his teams.  


Why let all the memories be tucked away in a box?
#3 - Ugly Fireplace removal then refinished with added cabinetry was completed.  My husband is an awesome man when it comes to DIYers.  Our back family room had no room for more than three people to really sit comfortably and watch T.V. due to the placement of the the television.  However, in order for that to be fixed someone would have to crawl in the attic and redirect the lines for the cable.  Yep, you guessed it...it was my amazing husband.  That led to more headache!  He then had to remove that awful mirror that was placed over the mantle and start with demolition.  After that was complete it was time to go shopping for some type of storage for our electronics, movies and such.  Things that you'd find in a family room or movie room.  We decided after our thought process to go to a builders warehouse to see if they had any leftovers.  Since we were planning on painting them, it really didn't matter if they matched or not but was really worried about the type of wood and the quality.  We lucked out!  After using his master skills he was able to position them nicely where they were flush with our existing fireplace.  That tile though...gosh it was ugly.  That meant more work for my husband but he never complained and in fact he was the one who was ready to tackle such project.  The part I liked the most was the end result and the tile we picked out together. And that lead to our next thing...the carpet!
Before

Just need to add decor and seal the tile.  Almost complete!
#4 Carpet replaced throughout the whole house.  In one of my posts I talked about how removing your shoes before entering a carpeted area would help with keeping allergens to a minimum and will help with having to replace your carpet later rather than sooner.  I also talked about how pricey flooring can be.  Since this is an added expense to your home every 5-10 years, this is a decision you want to make with great thought process without having to spend an arm and a leg. Right?  They just don't make products like they used to so we shopped around until we found a place around the furniture capital of OKC, called Budget Flooring Store.  Yes, we used a store with the word "budget" in it's logo.  They did not disappoint us at all.  The gentleman there knew his stuff and sold us exactly what we were looking for without using builder's grade or top of the line carpet.  But first there was one thing I asked for and that was a touch of animal print.  The two areas that we wanted something different was for our formal living space and our formal dining.  Since these are two rooms off our foyer, we both thought it would be nice to have designer grade carpet in there.  My husband once again was all for my design and agreed on cheetah!!  The other was a diamond shaped beige/taupe colored carpet.  I'll try to find picture of the formal living space to show contrast in design.



I have more to write about, but my OCD has kicked in so it's time to rest for now.

Until then,

I hope you stay OCD!


No comments :

Post a Comment